Thursday 12 March 2009

Building better business

I hate cold calling, I think most sane people do. It takes a masochistic streak to really enjoy the adversarial nature of overcoming objections, etc etc. I have always believed that there is a better way to build business, and in my experience there definititely is, it's called being a professional.

Here is how it works. Make sure you focus on the clients you have in hand. Really be attentive and make sure you satisfy them as your number one priority. Invest in them, take time to understand their business, try to find new ways to make their business better, add some value. Give them the best of your attention. When you are in front of a potential new client remember it is all about them. Don't bang on about your business. They don't care. Listen, listen, listen.

That's it. It is a long term approach but it just works. Oh, and I hate pitching for work. Beauty parades are boring. If I can find a way to not take part in a competitive pitch, I do. I much rather agree a deal that works for both parties up front than go through the whole charade.

No comments:

Post a Comment