Friday 20 March 2009

Self awareness

I meet a lot of people, interview a lot of people and hear many descriptions of career highs and lows.

I often reflect on how often really talented people sabotage their careers by displaying a lack of emotional maturity or self awareness.


Self awareness is an attribute that used to be called 'humility'. A complete and radical understanding of our own emotional landscape, a realisation of all our strenghts and weaknesses, an acceptance that we have many faults and that our successes are not neccessarily a result of our our own individual efforts or strength of character.

Our society does not place high value on humility. Being meek is seen as a weakness. Could it be that having the maturity to realise shortcomings is actually the beginning of wisdom?

1 comment:

  1. Self awareness or emotional intelligence? I think both go a long way in someone's maturity, but I think self awareness is actually a part of emotional intelligence. I believe if you are emotionally intelligent, you will come across as confident in your abilities and honest about your shortcomings - or as I like to call them - opportunities for improvement.

    ReplyDelete